Shipping can be daunting for individuals new in the world of delivering goods to the customers’ doorsteps. It is more challenging once you start opening your business to international clients in the US. You’ll begin to wonder: What about logistics? Is shipping from the USA to Canada considered international? How can I ship my goods from the USA to Canada? What are the best means to deliver them?
Let us help you answer these essential questions in this article.
Question 1: “Is shipping from the USA to Canada considered international?”
Yes. Despite being located next to each other and divided only by borders, it is still considered international shipping when you ship from the US to Canada and vice versa. Hence, you will be charged with import and export tax as well as duties when shipping across these borders.
Here are some of the basics you should remember when shipping from the US to Canada:
- Get to know the rules and guidelines from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) on importing.
- Know the different tax and duty rates you need to pay for different provinces in Canada. Online calculators are helpful, but you need to double-check these amounts first and foremost if you are planning on long-term shipments. This is the key to knowing the most affordable means to ship cross-border. It also applies to finding the cheapest way to ship from Canada to US.
- Be wary of Canada’s restricted and prohibited goods as this may cost you money and even legal charges.
In the same way, there are also some details you should know when shipping from Canada to the US:
- The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will be the first department to receive and check your goods upon entering the US. Hence, know the fundamentals of importing to the US.
- Online calculators are easily accessible on many websites, especially from Canada to US shipping companies, but make sure to know the details of your charges. Who knows, you can still cut the cost!
- You do not want to have any issues with the CBP and your goods denied simply because you did not educate yourself on the restricted and prohibited products in advance. This information is something you should know by heart as an importer.
Question 2: How do you ship from the US to Canada? Can you ship to Canada via US address?
There are several ways to ship from the US to Canada. With careful research and decision-making, you’ll find the economic way to ship from the US to Canada and even the options for cheapest shipping from Canada to US. Here are your choices:
- Deliver Via Trusted Shipping Companies
When we say trusted companies, these are the shipping companies partnered with UPS and USPS. UPS is one of the most trusted international shipping companies in the world, and they’ll be the one doing the last stretch of your delivery from the US to Canada.
On the other hand, if you are shipping to the US from Canada, USPS will do the last stretch of the shipping. USPS is one of the largest and most used services by sellers delivering to the US.
- Ship via Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) Export
There are a lot of stores in the US, both physical and digital, where you’ll probably buy your goods. Of all the stores, 63% of Canadian e-shoppers choose Amazon. FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) Export is a product of Amazon’s initiative to make brands more global. They ship items overseas without additional costs from the seller. This is a massive opportunity for sellers to expand at zero cost. Amazon does not charge anything when someone from another country buys their goods.
- Here’s the catch, the charges are passed on to buyers, which may pose several risks in your business.
- Some buyers would be unwilling to pay for the charges, so make sure to inform them before they purchase to avoid product returns and negative reviews.
- Negative reviews and low ratings can hurt your product listing ranking on Amazon, so you should study carefully if FBA Export is worth the risk.
- Some clients might think that delivery of the goods will be as fast as any other local deliveries, which is not the case, so always try to manage the buyer’s expectation.
- Buyers and sellers should be aware of the reason causing the delay of delivery from Canada to the US or the US to Canada. They must set the right expectations for their international transaction.
Indeed, there are a lot of challenges when you use FBA Export, but these challenges should not hamper your international expansion and the opportunity to earn more. There is always a workaround on these issues with careful training and strategizing.
- Ship to Canada via US address
If all else fails, relatives and friends always got your back—this is a basic rule in life, and now it is also the most straightforward solution when shipping from the US to Canada. You simply have to ship to Canada via a US address. Know the details of how to ship to Canada via US address beforehand for a smooth transaction.
Here’s how it works:
- Find a friend or a relative residing in the US and get their address. This will be the address you’ll be using when completing the online forms in e-commerce stores.
- Instead of your Canadian address, the goods will be delivered to your friend or relative’s address in the US.
- When they receive the goods, your friend or relative can now take them to a shipping company to be delivered to Canada.
- The shipping company takes care of the delivery.
What if you do not have a friend or relative residing in the US? You can still ship to Canada via US address. Here’s what you can do:
- Find a trusted package forwarding services company and use their services for your product delivery.
- The package forwarding services company will provide a US address you can use to complete the e-shopping forms and purchase your goods.
- Provide your Canada address to the package forwarding services company, and they will be the one shipping the product to Canada.
- Using a package forwarding service does not only deliver goods from the US to Canada. They also usually have concierge services that can help you when the products you want to buy from the US do not accept credit cards from another country.
Question 3: What is the best and cheapest way to ship from Canada to US and vice versa?
Most of the time, the least costly way to ship from the US to Canada is also the cheapest way to ship from Canada to US, but knowing which type of delivery to use depends on your needs and budget. Here are some tips that can help you make a wise decision.
- When to ship via shipping companies
- If you choose to ship to Canada via the US address of your relative and friend, you’ll still need to pick which international shipping company to use.
- Choose the shipping company that offers the least expensive way to ship from the US to Canada.
- When to ship via FBA Export
- If you have an Amazon account, this is the most convenient shipping method for US - Canada routes and vice versa.
- Choose FBA Export if you are willing to wait and willing to pay all the charges. If the products you are purchasing are of great importance, these additional charges will be worth it.
- The advantage of using FBA Export is the credibility of Amazon. You know you’ll receive your orders no matter what, and in case there are issues, you can just easily follow the established process on Amazon for complaints and refunds and give negative reviews to warn future customers.
- When to ship to Canada via US address
- If you have relatives and friends in the US - This option is best when the product you want to purchase is not open to international shipping. Having a US address is an assurance that you can buy the goods no matter what.
- If the products you need to buy cannot be shipped internationally
- If the e-shopping store does not accept credit cards from another country
Now that e-commerce is one of the leading drivers in the global market, international shipping should be made more accessible than ever. So far, these are the existing means of logistics that business owners and buyers may want to check out.
If delivering via a shipping company best suits you, Stallion Express can be your partner. We deliver from Canada to the US and vice versa. We are partnered with UPS and USPS to do the last stretch of your deliveries. You may visit our website to know more about us and the services we provide.
Contact us at 877-863-7477, so we can discuss our offers and how we can help you.